Monday, June 10, 2013

American Sock Knitting

I am very excited to announce that the book American Sock Knitting is up and available for Pre-order!

I am so happy with the way everything looks and very excited to have been lucky enough to be able to take part in such a great adventure.

(The original test sock)

Go on...Click Here and have a look for yourself. So many great patterns to choose from. All come from a different state representing the area in which we live.

Below is a picture of my design Appalachian Trail Socks that is in the book. I had so much fun coming up with this design. Originally It was named something else to represent the Susquehanna river that flows through our town, but I changed my mind in the end. The process of sketching, then actually coming up with what stitches would make up my design was crazy fun. I couldn't believe how easy it all came together.
   To be honest, I think a solid colored yarn would look much much nicer on these because it shows off the stitch definition, but yarn was not my choice here.
Photo courtesy of Beth Moriarty: American Sock Knitting

You can also find my newest design on Ravelry

Here are some of the details:
The Appalachian Trail is the holy grail for American hikers. As it winds its way along the Appalachian mountain range from Georgia to Maine, intrepid hikers are rewarded with mountain, pasture and forest views along its 2,184 miles. Started in 1921 and built completely by private citizens, the trail is managed by the U.S. Park Service but maintained by thousands of volunteers.

Kimberly de la Cruz designed these socks with a winding trail of leafy twists and a lush, fresh color to pay tribute to the Pennsylvania section of the AT. They are too pretty to hide in hiking boots, though.


Finished Size: Adult Medium: Foot circumference 7″ (18cm); leg length to ankle 5½” (14cm); foot length 8″ (20]cm) (unstretched)
Project Gauge: 36 stitches and 50 rounds = 4” (10cm) in stockinette stitch; 45 stitches and 46 rounds = 4″ (10cm) in Winding Trail Pattern
 Yarn: Lorna’s Laces Shepherd Sock (80% Superwash Merino; 20% Nylon, 435 yards/398m); 1 skein Catalpa #310

No comments: