Friday, April 20, 2007

F$%#ing Off

So today, as I said, we had no school, but we had to meet in Bunnsparken to go to the museum to learn about Gothenburg..blah blah...

It was cool....we met up and walked just behind Brunnsparken and went to stand behind a church and have a few group pictures taken, none of which I did because the wind was blowing and I just wanted to go inside somewhere.

So we walk out the front of the church and go in the front of the museum next door....we get a guide, whoopti-do..we go upstairs and she explains a few words then leaves us be with our teacher to show us the rest. So what. I talk to Ali, a new guy in our class to see whats up with him....34 year old guy from Baghdad, Iraq...yeah he was ok I guess....

Eventually when it was all over we went back downstairs to have coffee together in their little cafe. Kelvin looks to me and sees I am in a conversation with Anmal, another Iraqi...and comes and says to us..."So what have we decided here to settle on between these two countries?"

Mike overhears and comes to see whats going on....so Kelvin repeats and says.."Mike(who is from England) you are Tony Blair, Anmal is Saddam and Kimberly is G.Bush, So....What do you say Tony? What sort of conclusion do you come up with for these countries?"

Mike says: "I stand behind America" and he then preceded to actually stand behind me...everyone started laughing because we all know that even though there is a war going on....we can make fun of it because it is all rediculous, the war...just plain stupid!

We had our laugh and Anmal and I decided to continue our conversation about Iraq and the war and so on, him and I are on the same side of this..the war sucks ass! Some of those Iraqis do not deserve to have their homes ripped apart and taken from them. Anmal told me he lost so many of his friends, all they wanted to do was to become actors in the theatre...nothing more, to enjoy life...and you know what he said? That this religion has taken over so many Iraqis that they cannot see straight and that it is not right. I have to agree....

So we sit and talk and then Ali gets in on the convo we are having and we find that Ali is VERY VERY religious....I can see when they started to speak arabic that it was going to be a very heavy conversation....they looked mad, and now, they do not like each other. Ali does not think it is right that Anmal has an earing, that he can sit and have many female friends, when in Iraq if the guy and girl were seen walking down the street together, they would be killed...not fair.

But Ali seemed to be an ok person otherwise. ok to talk to..yet you know now as I think of this...if it is not right, then why afterwards did he walk down the street, continuing this conversation with me??? A woman ! For petes sake it was me and him and only Anmal walking and talking for a few minutes...and he did not protest.

So I will stop my ranting and going on for now....when we all started to split up to go home and our own way...it ended up being just Kelvin, me and Anmal. We stood in the center of Brunnsparken and we were laughing and carrying on like crazy. I had a lot of fun. Anmal said in his country he could not do this with a girl, just to hang out..be silly..now he is free and very happy...good for him!

And so now I'll show my little pix
All pix are from left to right.....


Edson, Jose & Yuri



Tatiana, Mike, Tatiana 2, Marta, Li, Ali



Kelvin serving coffee to us.



Edson thinking....



Kelvin serving Anmal tea...


1 comment:

Maja said...

How great to get exposure to middle eastern culture and people in Sweden of all places!

I don't think that the war in iraq really has all that much to do with religion. It's just politics standing behind a shroud of religion.