Sunday, May 2, 2010

Cleaning raw fleece

This is a new step for me.

I've spun, carded a little, and even dyed, but to clean raw fleece is a new step.
I want to do it all from the ground up. After buying as much raw fleece as I did at the Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival I have no choice but to get on with it. (it does stink a bit and I want the smell gone haha )

I did a little trial piece because I was excited and quickly learned that I was doing it right, but not completely. I tried to remember what it was that I had been told...I went blank. I did some research and found what I was missing. I would like to share with you how to clean raw fleece if you haven't done it before, or if you would like to but thought it would be too much work.

It's not really that hard.
All you need is your raw fleece, rubber gloves (there is vegetable matter in it afterall), Dawn soap (preferred), Hot water, a bucket or a few or whatever you plan on soaking the fleece in to clean it, and a strainer.

I will be sharing some pictures as well from my own trial and error. Come back tomorrow and see how it all starts.

No comments: